Friday, May 27, 2011

To Swim Or To Swail???

It's that time of year again...
Yep, the glorious and wonderful, sucky time of year...it's time for me to get in the pool.
Don't get me wrong - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the pool.
Me, a towel, a lounge chair, a new, crisp tabloid ripe for reading...
Buuuuuuuuuuuuut, it's not that kind of pool AND it's not that kind of relationship.
This one is dislike/dislike!
This kinda says it all...

Yeah, that's how I feel about my "swim".
Pretty huh?
Not.
I wish I loved my swim the way I love my run, the way I love my bike, heck, I'd even settle for a slight like at this point. But I don't.
I am not buoyant. I am not graceful, and I am by absolutely NO MEANS, fast. I am more like, well, a brick...with limbs...that flail...out of sync.

Sad.

So I decided to embrace my non-swim talent. I gave it a name: swim + flail = swail.
I will be good at swailing, I will enjoy swailing, I will embrace swailing...and maybe, just maybe, one day, I will LOVE swailing?
And then by my first race day THIS season, I might look more like this:
Please keep me and my swail in your thoughts and prayers!
-d

3 comments:

  1. hmmmm.... your swailing is how I feel on land for the bike and run.

    It will get better for you! Wishing you the best of luck this summer in the pool.

    We are looking forward to being in the outdoor this summer. Good perk of the Midlo Y!!!!

    BTW.... LOVE the pics!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so there with you. I fantasize about doing a triathlon: I'm working on the running, I rock at biking... but swimming? I can get from point A to point B but with neither speed nor grace. I hope to take lesson next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew to love my swim, and then, like a good relationship gone bad, we got bored of each other....
    ...now I'm seeing the RM (Rowing Machine) on the side. RM is new, it doesn't compete with run, it's generally so unused at the Y that's it truly happy to see me, and, it doesn't involve a bathing suit and cold water at 5am, which, I'm not saying anything... well... yeah, I kinda am...
    I need to write this up as a post - I just had 20 more ideas for this comment... huh...

    ReplyDelete